Senior High School
IHMA High School department offers a curriculum that is basically college preparatory, the predominant thrust of which is academic excellence. Nonetheless, it complements the total student formation program because the various disciplines or academic subjects integrate other aspects of development that will contribute to the students’ spiritual and emotional maturity, social responsibility and cultural growth.
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION (Re.Ed) as the core of the curriculum aims at developing in the learner the knowledge and skills necessary for doing adequate discernment, analysis, discussion, comparison, and selection of values in real life situations. Though value integration will be done in every learning area through an experiential learning approach and integrated teaching, it is given additional periods entirely for value processing activities that will deepen and enrich the analysis of values within and across every learning system that makes him/her a person of integrity who has the courage to face contemporary challenges and has the firm commitment to serve and live with gratitude to the Creator.
HOMEROOM – The homeroom periods are venues for discussing and finding solutions, if necessary, to class concerns. Through active participation during dialogues, and community-building exercises, the students are given the opportunity to put into practice the core values of the school as well as to develop their self-discipline.
Core subjects are subjects that all SHS students will study regardless of their chosen career track or learning strand. You can think of this as similar to the general education subjects that college students usually take on their first or second year of college.
Subjects that form the core of the SHS curriculum
- Oral Communication
- Reading and Writing
- Komunikasyon at Pananaliksik sa Wika at Kulturang Pilipino (Communication and Research on Filipino Language and Culture)
- Pagbasa at Pagsuri ng Iba’t Ibang Teksto Tungo sa Pananaliksik (Reading and Critique of Different Research Texts)
- 21st Century Literature from the Philippines and the World
- Contemporary Philippine Arts from the Regions
- Media and Information Literacy
- General Mathematics
- Statistics and Probability
- Earth and Life Science
- Physical Science
- Pansariling Kaunlaran (Personal Development)
- Understanding, Culture, Society and Politics
- Pambungad sa Pilosopiya ng Tao (Introduction to the Philosophy of the Human Person)
- Physical Education and Health
- Earth Science (taken instead of Earth and Life Science for those in the STEM Strand)
- Disaster Readiness and Risk Reduction (taken instead of Physical Science for those in the STEM Strand)
Applied / Contextualized subjects are subjects that all SHS students will take; however, contrary to core subjects which are only meant to cover the most basic topics, applied subjects are designed to focus on the specific applications of certain subjects of certain subjects on the student’s chosen career track or learning strand.
Applied Subjects that students are going to study as part of the SHS curriculum include:
- English for Academic and Professional Purposes
- Practical Research 1
- Practical Research 2
- Filipino sa Piling Larangan
- Empowerment Technologies
- Inquiries, Investigations, and Immersion
Specialized subjects are subjects that are unique to the career track or learning strand that the student chose. These are similar to the major subjects that college students take, although they’re designed to be less complex than their college counterparts.